Have you ever noticed how confidence seems to come naturally to small children? They don’t mince words or worry about what other people think about what they say or think. Before life happens, as it eventually does to everyone, none of us ever worried about or even thought about what it means to struggle in the area of confidence. However, as we grow older, we realize just how cruel the world can be and unfortunately may go through experiences that chip away at our self-confidence. Many times, these experiences can be life-altering, causing one to doubt themselves and their abilities. This is why it is important to be able to recognize when a lack of confidence is suppressing your true authentic self and hindering your growth.
Personally, I know all too well what it feels like to lack self-confidence and had to take some very calculated steps to build myself back up after life tried to knock me down and take me out. It is for this reason alone that I am sharing the following techniques and mental hacks that can help you not only build the kind of confidence that no one will ever be able to diminish, but that will also help you to succeed in every area of your life.
Here are 20 ways to build the kind of confidence that will help you win in life:
- Do what scares you – When you do this, it gives you an immediate boost to your confidence; however, it is not a quick fix and you must practice this over and over until your confidence is bigger than your fear.
- Be okay with failing – Know that you are going to fail, just be sure to fail forward.
- Continually push yourself out of your comfort zone – If you stay in your comfort zone, you will never grow past your current state.
- Operate in your gift – When you do what comes naturally to you, it builds your confidence because you are able to complete goals. The feeling of completion gives you the confidence to continue to strive to reach a new level in life.
- Stop caring what other people think – Nothing is a bigger waste of your time and energy than placing too much care on what other people think about you. If you can get past this bump in life that hangs so many people up, you will position yourself for success.
- Help someone else solve a problem – Not only does this give you a boost of confidence because you are helping another human feel better in their own life, but it also puts the wheels in motion to bring the good you have given to someone else, back to you. This is how success works!
- Don’t say “yes” when you really mean “no” – This lowers your confidence because you are going against yourself. This is self-sabotaging and the damage is done on a subconscious level.
- Don’t do things that go against your core values – If you go against the core of who you really are, eventually you will lose yourself. Behaving in this manner is a form of people-pleasing and means you care more about what others think than you care about yourself.
- Take care of your body – Eating healthy, balanced meals brings clarity and provides you with the energy you need to be successful.
- Continually work on improving your mindset – The importance of working on improving your mind can not be overstated. Where the mind goes, the body follows, so make it a point to develop a growth mindset.
- Rid yourself of negative self-talk – It is impossible to build confidence if you are tearing yourself down.
- Rid yourself of negative people – This is important because you become like those you surround yourself with.
- Tell yourself daily that you can do anything you set your mind to – Practicing positive self-affirmations helps build confidence and encourages you to take action to achieve your goals.
- Write down your vision for the future and start working towards accomplishing your goals – Without a vision, you will lack direction and waste time doing meaningless tasks.
- Have realistic expectations; don’t set yourself up for failure – Again, it is self-sabotaging to set unrealistic expectations. Be patient with yourself and know that when you take the necessary time to grow and improve your skills, success is inevitable.
- Get a mentor or life coach – No one gets to the top of their game without some help and guidance. If you really want to succeed, take the advice and instruction from someone who has already succeeded in what you are trying to accomplish.
- Surround yourself with people that believe in you – People that believe in you can usually see in you what you can’t see in yourself. They help bring out the best in you and you, in them.
- Make a pact with yourself that you will give your best effort in all that you do – Nothing guarantees success and builds confidence like take consistent action and giving it all you’ve got.
- Get comfortable with change for it is the only guarantee in life – Learn to pivot quickly when change is required for continued success.
- Release people from your life that refuse to grow with you – Holding on to those that want to stay stuck will stunt your growth, or even worse, stop you from growing at all.
If you are already practicing some of these techniques and thought processes, I applaud you and encourage you to keep going and growing. If not, I encourage you to start adopting them into your everyday life and turning them into habits. Know that we all, at some point, struggle in the area of confidence, but by making some adjustments in life, your confidence can be built up and success achieved.