It is at that moment of when we leave school, college, or university, often we have no idea what we really want. We typically end up choosing a job or career based on what our parents, friends, or career advisors say.
Then, after ten years later, we find ourselves in a unsatisfied or mediocre situation, with a growing sense of resentment and dissatisfaction about our work task and our work place environment overall. Often times we ask ourselves, is it too late to change direction and do something completely new or different?
Short answer, of course not!
In these days and times, life is changing rapidly and dramatically. New careers, ideas, and opportunities are popping up all the time. Things we would never have thought possible just a few years ago have become household favorites virtually overnight, thanks to today’s technology.
When you sit and think about it, who would have thought in a million years that it was possible for the biggest taxi company in the world (i.e. Uber, Lift, ect.) to own no taxis? Who would have thought that the biggest online retailer (i.e. Amazon) doesn’t have a single product of their own to sell? Who would have thought a whole new industry could be born simply from fast-food delivery (i.e. Door-Dash, WaiterApp, etc.)? You get my drift.
If you want to completely change direction, no matter the age, the most important thing is to discover what you really want out of life?
● What interests you most?
● What tickles your fancy, fascinates you?
● What do you feel passionate about?
Find a quiet corner somewhere, sit and make a list on each of these important issues and see where they overlap or have commonality. You will surprisingly find hidden in there somewhere are the basic elements of a complete change of direction for you.
When you really dig into your lists, it is then possible to realize and create a basic plan of action towards careers, jobs, and opportunities to explore that can lead you to a life of fulfilment and happiness.
You will find that if you pursue the path that keeps you happy and fulfilled, you’ll never look back. However, there might come a day when life changes and/or you change, and that’s when it might be time to change direction again. It happens all the time, it even happened to me, unfortunately, I didn’t see the change until it was too late, especially in this rapidly developing world. So I had to adjust quickly and conform to these changes in order to stay the course, so will you
Once you’ve gone through your lists and found some careers that will fulfil your passions and interests, you’ll want to consider other aspects of them, too.
- Will this new career make me enough money? You’ll want to consider how you’ll invest your interest and what pursuing that aspect will entail for you. Do you want to get a new job in this field? Start your own business?
● With the advent of social media and internet marketing, it’s possible to reach out to thousands of potential employers all over the world without ever leaving home.
● The potential of making money is certainly there, but you might need to retrain and learn some new skills in order to become employable and be the one employers see as an asset.
- What will others think? Do you really care? This is an age-old question that stops many people from making career changes that could change their life for the better, forever. However, keep in mind that all the time that you’re worried about what other people think, say, or do, you’ll never be free.
● Like my motto states: “You can be whoever you want to be, who are THEY to define YOU?”
● We have no way to influence what others think of us other than leading and setting a good example. Let them think whatever they want while you go out and get things done! Never let those who think it can’t be done interrupt those who are already out there doing it.
- What am I willing to give up in order to create my rewarding reality? Many times, you’ll find that preparing for a new career encroaches on your current life. If this is the case, weigh the costs of time, money, and effort against your current life to help determine which aspect is more important to you.
● Would you sell your car to fund a training or coaching program where you could learn new skills and explore new ideas?
● Would you give up your evenings or your social life to reinvest that time in educating yourself in a completely different career or opportunity?
● Are you willing to work weekends and evenings to study new concepts, ideas, or strategies?
- Will I be good enough to make it work? It is natural to be afraid and have self-doubt. The very fact that you’re reading this says that you’re searching for change, reassurance about change, and that something is pulling you forward towards making the change.
● You already considered that there is more to your life than that which you are currently experiencing, and you want to know what it is and get fully engaged with it, right?
● Having a Winning Mindset is vitally important. Let your inner intuition and motivation carry you forward. As you take action, a positive mindset will help you overcome any obstacles that may arise.
In case you forgot, YOUR life is entirely under YOUR control and what you do with it is your decision alone. Get busy, set realistic goals, make some decisions and take action, and keep moving forward with your ideas and intentions.
Albeit, the answers may not come to you overnight, and that’s Okay, but as long as you pursue what interests you, fascinates you, and makes you happy, you will find the answers that you seek.
Beware of any criticism of your dreams and ideas from anyone you wouldn’t go to for sound advice. After all, opinions are a dime a dozen, and many are not worth a cent! And negative opinions are not going to help or support you either.
Be relentless in your pursuit of happiness and fulfilment. Go at it like your whole life depends on it. Because it does.